Current:Home > MarketsMinnesota program to provide free school meals for all kids is costing the state more than expected -Visionary Wealth Guides
Minnesota program to provide free school meals for all kids is costing the state more than expected
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 19:05:19
ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Minnesota’s program to provide free school breakfasts and lunches to all students regardless of income is costing the state more than expected because of a jump in demand.
When Democratic Gov. Tim Walz signed the legislation last spring, advocates said the free meals would ease stresses on parents and help reduce childhood poverty while lifting the stigma on kids who rely on them. Thousands of schoolchildren who didn’t previously qualify have been getting the free meals since Minnesota this fall became the country’s fourth state to offer universal free school meals. The number has since grown to at least eight.
Republican lawmakers objected to the program as it moved through the Legislature, saying it was a poor use of taxpayer dollars to subsidize meals for students whose parents could afford them. Now, with costs rising faster than expected — $81 million more over the next two years and $95 million in the two years after that — some question whether the state can afford the ongoing commitment, Minnesota Public Radio reported Wednesday.
An updated budget forecast released this month showed that money will be tight heading into the 2024 legislative session. Officials said at that briefing that the higher projections for school meals are based on “really preliminary and partial data,” and they’ll keep monitoring the situation.
The governor said budgeting for new programs is always tricky, but he called the free meals “an investment I will defend all day.”
GOP state Rep. Kristin Robbins, of Maple Grove, said at the briefing that low-income students who need free meals were already getting them through the federal free and reduced-price lunch program. She called the state’s program a ” free lunch to all the wealthy families.”
In the Northfield district, breakfasts served rose by nearly two-thirds from the prior year, with lunches up 20%. The Roseville Area district says lunches are up 30% with 50% more kids eating breakfast. Leaders in those districts told MPR that the increase appears to be a combination of kids from low-income and higher-income families taking advantage of the program for the first time.
Although the surge may have surprised budget-makers, it did not surprise nonprofit leaders who are working to reduce hunger. Leah Gardner, policy director for Hunger Solutions Minnesota, told MPR that the group is seeing many middle-class families struggling with food costs going up.
“So we know that the ability for kids to just go to school and have a nutritious breakfast and nutritious lunch every day — not having to worry about the cost of that — we know it’s a huge relief to families, and not just our lowest income families,” she said.
veryGood! (2966)
Related
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Charlie Sheen and Denise Richards’ Daughter Sami Shares Her Riskiest OnlyFans Photo Yet in Sheer Top
- Sue Johanson, Sunday Night Sex Show Host, Dead at 93
- Netflix’s Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo Movie Reveals Fiery New Details
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- The U.K. blocks Microsoft's $69 billion deal to buy game giant Activision Blizzard
- Today’s Climate: Manchin, Eyeing a Revival of Build Back Better, Wants a Ban on Russian Oil and Gas
- Taylor Swift Goes Back to December With Speak Now Song in Summer I Turned Pretty Trailer
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Bethany Hamilton Welcomes Baby No. 4, Her First Daughter
Ranking
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Contact is lost with a Japanese spacecraft attempting to land on the moon
- Feds Will Spend Billions to Boost Drought-Stricken Colorado River System
- He 'Proved Mike Wrong.' Now he's claiming his $5 million
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Fired Tucker Carlson producer: Misogyny and bullying 'trickles down from the top'
- At Global Energy Conference, Oil and Gas Industry Leaders Argue For Fossil Fuels’ Future in the Energy Transition
- Championing Its Heritage, Canada Inches Toward Its Goal of Planting 2 Billion Trees
Recommendation
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
Amid Punishing Drought, California Is Set to Adopt Rules to Reduce Water Leaks. The Process has Lagged
From Spring to Fall, New York Harbor Is a Feeding Ground for Bottlenose Dolphins, a New Study Reveals
A group of state AGs calls for a national recall of high-theft Hyundai, Kia vehicles
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Twitter removes all labels about government ties from NPR and other outlets
California Considers ‘Carbon Farming’ As a Potential Climate Solution. Ardent Proponents, and Skeptics, Abound
Fox News settles blockbuster defamation lawsuit with Dominion Voting Systems